Saturday, February 23, 2013

Zombies, boobies and love

*Includes spoilers. All media credits go to their owners.*

Aaaand the blog is late again >.< I couldn't help it - I was watching HOTD and FT: Houou no Miko yesterday. And studying Japanese. And I went to the gym. Okay, I'm just making excuses. Gomen gomen!
 
Isn't it funny how one thing tends to lead to another? There I was, on a completely normal day, cooking dinner after a full day at the college and listening to some music. It was something from my native area, pretty outdated too. But then, for some reason, there were several romance anime videos in the related. And I ended up on a romance OAV. It was called Kyou, Koi o Hajimemasu or Love Starts Today or Today We Start Our Love. It looked something like this:

Authors collection
Tsubaki-kun and Tsubaki
Since it was only an OAV though, it was extremely hard to follow. I had noooo clue what was going on, things were moving so fast. Except for one thing: the female lead's voice didn't seem to suit her very well. Anyway, I decided to read the manga. Now I've read a few manga before, only once was it online. And I learned that reading off the screen doesn't really make it easy on my eyes. But I still read it.
The manga was about two regular high school kids Hibino Tsubaki and Tsubaki Kyouta, the girl being pretty old fashioned and the guy being extra popular (of course). The male lead did have some weird past issues to deal with but in general they had very few problems and started dating pretty quickly. Naturally half of it was the girl over thinking everything and getting surprised by the reality. Tsubaki-kun was refreshingly insightful though. He knew exactly what Hibino was thinking and how to work with it. Sure, there were times when even he was confused, but he seemed to be a pretty complete character - where the female lead seemed a bit forced at times. For example, she kept on doubting herself a lot after they started dating and even after Tsubaki-kun reassured her. I guess that happens in real life too but I was a bit skeptical to the amount of it.
Anyway, the real reason that I kept reading was this:

http://i7.mangareader.net/kyou-koi-wo-hajimemasu/58/kyou-koi-wo-hajimemasu-1889723.jpg
  
There were just so many hints from the very beginning that I had to see with my own eyes whether shoujou mangas really display such a thing. Don't get me wrong - I'm always happy when people get laid! I was just surprised that they actually went through with it. In the romance anime I watched last week (Bokura ga Ita) they almost did it, but eventually it was a no no. Not sure about the manga though.

It got me thinking: in several of the romance/shoujou anime and manga I've seen in the past year, there have been sex related topics. Whether the male lead is a playboy or just happened to do it with someone or is just very interested in doing it - the guy always seems to be related to sex somehow and the female is always oblivious. Now the real question here is then:
If this topic is displayed naturally in the shoujou section... does that mean that in the shounen part we should take it for granted too?
I mean - maybe Luffy goes around sleeping with every girl he meets and they just don't show it to us since it's that natural? Maybe Natsu goes over to Lucy's place for a very specific reason and Happy just ignores it? I mean, sure, Lucy denied all such possibilities in the Fairy Tail OVA 4 but since she doesn't seem to realize her feelings for Natsu, maybe she thought they were just sex-buddies?
JESUS PENIS - did I have them all wrong from the very beginning???!!
Massaka... ne?

Be that as it may, I also managed to finally watch High School of the Dead this week. There had been so much publicity about it, I just had to watch it - eventually. Who cares if it's a couple of years late, eh! Even though I care naught for zombies. I do like boobies though! Even if these boobs had a life of their own... Seriously, I don't think one real boob has ever done that before... Which is why it's great that we also have drawn boobs!
 
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/4/47520/2601226-hotd___teamtakashi_1.png

Oddly enough, it was pretty interesting. I watched it non-stop until I went to sleep and right after I woke up. Although it was pretty clear they left room for either a new season or wanted to tempt people into reading the manga, I still thought it could've ended a bit better. Though that last quote by T.S. Eliot pretty much captured it all:
"This is the way the world ends 
Not with a bang but a whimper."

Can't really formulate any thoughts about it yet though. Mmmm need some food too... See you next week. I promise myself I will be on time!

0 comments: