Friday, September 28, 2012

Summer 2012

*Includes spoilers. All media credits go to their owners. All pictures from ANN.*

 I didn't watch a whole lot of anime out of the ones that premiered 2012 summer and to be honest, I haven't looked into the ones premiering in October a lot either. There's a couple out of the new ones that I will have a look at - this Btooom seems interesting, maybe Zetsuen no Tempest. But I'll look into those more when a couple of episodes have aired.
Today I'll go over the ones that I did watch from the summer season and what I thought about them. Don't expect full reviews - you can get those in ANN or wherever on teh Internetz. But beware of spoilers!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=14198The first one I watched and the only one I managed to follow through is Natsuyuki Rendezvous. The first episode was SO intriguing that I just could not wait for the next week. Finally a show that isn't about horribly embarrassing and blushy teenagers who know nothing of relationships - or sex. And it had a very nice tempo - up until like episode 5 or 6. After that it was a great sea of melancholy and depressive memories. It did get better at around episode 10 again, but all in all the anime had great potential of becoming one of the most iconic works in the field of life-after-school-anime, similarly to Clannad: After Story, and it blew it. Badly. The flashbacks showing Rokka's life with Shimao were enough for emphasizing how terrible it must have been for the husband to remain there as a ghost and seeing her with a new man - did the show really have to take it to a level of emo and self-pity?
For me, one of the greatest disappointments compared to the potential it had, but for the sake of that potential, I'll give it 6/10

Chouyaku Hyakunin Issu: Uta Koi or just Uta Koi for short takes us to a whole different setting - although similarly to Natsuyuki, it addresses the more subtle and adult love... just (approximately) during the Heian period. The imperial court matters, sending poems for love letters and the actions that the people of the period were able to take form up a magnificent dance between hierarchy, strict rules and flowing emotions. Even the smallest events that would probably mean nothing to us these days are given huge meanings in this anime. The most insignificant things become the foundation of life long love or regret. And conveniently, the complicated emotions and affairs are explained to us peasants. And there's humor - which is refreshing since otherwise it could get a tad depressing.
I haven't quite finished it yet, but so far it's my favourite out of the season. 8/10


Then there's Hagure Yuusha no Aestetica, which is just completely mental. At episode 6 I found myself asking: what the hell is this anime about? There are heroes and epic fantasy, there are massive boobies, lesbian action and peeing in your pants, and there's high-tech machines and an uber-kakkoii protagonist. Seriously, sometimes there are real battles, sometimes the battle takes place in a lingerie shop dressing room where the hero has to find the perfect bra for his 'sister'.
Crazy, weird - but amusing if you like the type. I personally couldn't watch it any further, but I'm sure there are people who think it's awesome.


I haven't watched .hack, but judging by the couple of first episodes that I did see, Sword Art Online seems to be executed a bit better. Not claiming I know for sure though. SAO seems to be on a permanent level of: 'Hey, that's pretty cool', not going up or down a lot. I haven't finished this one either, although it probably deserves to be followed through. It looks promising. As far as I can see, there are 25 episodes announced on ANN and I'm glad, because 12 would've been disappointingly short. I haven't read the manga (because I just don't read manga :P) but I've heard that the real action only begins after the two year time leap in the series. So when I get the time to watch all the released episodes, I hope it will be good enough to fill all 25 with some decent action.

The last three i have basically only glimpsed at. I knew Arcana Famiglia was shoujou, but after watching the first episode, I kinda thought it wouldn't be so bad. It seemed rather epic. Of course, I was proven wrong by episode 2. After the fifth I just stopped watching. Not saying it was horribad, but the topic was not my cup of tea.
 
 Then I watched an episode - or maybe two, can't remember - of Oda Nobuna no Yabou and regretted it immediately. I used to study Japanese Language and Culture in my last university and although it didn't end all that well, I still remember bits and pieces of the history of Japan. And loud school girls with huge boobs was just raping it. Next thing we know, Queen Himiko will be a party-loving onee-san, who likes to collect cute lock-shaped charms. I'm guessing some people (and by people I mean horny boys) will love it, but as far as I'm concerned, this anime should be burned and buried.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=13947
And Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai was just sooooooo embarrassing. I quit like 5 minutes into the first episode as soon as the main character was done commenting about the girls wet T-shirts out loud. Oh. My. Goodness. Hazukashii!

I hope you all enjoy the new season and lets keep our fingers crossed that there will be something really good!


I have more grains to spill next Friday. In the meanwhile - which anime did you enjoy most and which ones are you looking forward to?

0 comments: